3.24.2008

Apartment Demo

Hope everyone had a pleasant holiday. I spent the Easter weekend in London with relatives. In between servings of ham, turkey and other gastronomic goodness, I managed to slip away for a quick exploration of an apartment building being demolished on Kipp's Lane in London's north-east, not far where I did some growing up.









Buildings under demolition are an inherently dangerous place and I am very hesitant to venture in as the entire affair becomes structurally unsound with the removal of supporting walls.











This being said, these types of 'in-process demolishments' do offer the urban explorer a glimpse of what it may be like for a war correspondent on assignment or what it may feel like for a Palestinian living in the West Bank.









It may also provide a window into the lives of the denizens who had, until recently, called this place their home. Unfortunately, any personal effects or other detritus produced by human occupation had been all cleared from the building and was piled in a large heap on the east side of the structure leaving the rooms without any flavour.










This area of town was decidedly bad-a$$ back in the day when I was growing up here. As a result, I took extra precaution when poking around half expecting to find a crack party in progress . . . all I found was an abandoned hobo carriage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello sir.. I came thru this blog thru your orkut profile.. Its nice to see some one so dedicated n passionate about this hobby... In india Its not a gr8 problem to do exploration.. Police rules are lax here... but surely if ...rarely.. if u et caught theres hell to pay...

I will keep visitng...

Cheerz sir...